Monday, October 13, 2014

Basil caprese salad Recipe

Basil caprese salad Recipe

Basil and tomatoes are ripe and abundant in late summer and matched beautifully with mozzarella. I happened to be catching up on some episodes of Pioneer Woman, when she made this dish for your family 4th of July party. I loved the idea of layers of tomato, basil and mozzarella. Not to mention you have to be the quickest dish to prepare for a summer meeting.


I decided to do this caprese salad for a casual lunch in the office. I figured this simple and delicious salad would be quick to do and go a long way for a larger group. My only rookie mistake was preparing the dish ahead of time, with oil and balsamic drizzle of olive oil. It looked beautiful and smelled like a ripe summer garden. The only problem was, I had a 45 minute drive ahead of me. Without thinking, I put the plate in the back seat of the car. Within minutes, the back seat was covered with balsamic glaze. It is not the best way to start my morning, but at least I know to prepare everything and wait until I get to my destination to drizzle olive oil and balsamic. Lesson learned.

INGREDIENTS
2 Cups Balsamic Vinegar
3 Whole ripe tomatoes, sliced thick
12 ounces of Mozzarella Cheese, sliced thick
Fresh basil leaves (2 leaves per tomato/mozzarella layer)
Olive oil for drizzling
Kosher salt and black pepper

DIRECTIONS
1. In a small saucepan, bring the balsamic vinegar to a boil over medium-low heat. Boil for 10-20 minutes or until balsamic has reduced to a thicker glaze. Be sure to keep an eye on this and stir occasionally. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl to cool.

2. Arrange tomato and mozzarella slices on a platter. Place 2 basil leaves between the slices. Drizzle the olive oil over the top of the salad, getting a little bit on each slice. Then drizzle the balsamic glaze over the salad, same as the olive oil. Store left over balsamic in the fridge. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment